Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com/


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/




Friday, February 22, 2019

Kielbasa and Cabbage over Noodles


This is a recipe I have been playing around with for a couple of years making little changes here and there. I think I have it just where I want it so I thought it was probably time to share it with all of you.



This is a recipe I turn to a lot especially during the colder months of the year. It is filling and just a great comfort food all around. It also is made of ingredients I almost always have on hand and they are all inexpensive ingredients. The four main ingredients: kielbasa sausage, coleslaw mix, onion and noodles are pretty much always here. The other stuff I can work around if I am missing any of them.

So lets talk first about those ingredients that I do have on hand that show up here.

The kielbasa sausage I watch for sales on (the last batch I got was $1 for the ring) so I can stock up. I cut the larger piece into 4 oz chunks, wrap each chunk in plastic wrap and store them in the freezer in a labeled re-closeable freezer bag. They are surprisingly handy to have around. The coleslaw mix is also usually around $1 in my grocery store and I use it several times a week. Not only for coleslaw but also to throw into soups and casseroles. And of course onions and plain egg noodles are a must haves in my pantry.

If I am out of bacon I just use cooking oil or butter the seasonings are pretty much standard fair if you are missing the caraway seeds or the paprika just skip it, the dish will still be good but I do recommend you pick some up so you can get the full experience.

The part of this dish that takes the longest is wilting the coleslaw mix before you start cooking. If I am short on time I occasionally skip this step but it is better if you have the time. This just gives the dish a better texture in the end. And don't worry about the amount of salt you are rinsing a lot of it off before you use the cabbage.



The amounts I am giving here is for 1 serving but I have scaled it up for 3 with no problems at all. Just multiply the amounts by the number of servings you need. (and use a bigger pan)

Kielbasa and Cabbage over Noodles

3 cups coleslaw mix
1 tsp salt
1 strip bacon, chopped
¾ cup wide egg noodles
¼ lb Kielbasa sausage (sliced ¼” thick)
small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon caraway seeds
¼ teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste
¾ cup wide egg noodles

Place the coleslaw mix into a colander and give it a quick rinse under cold water. Add 1 teaspoon salt and mix together. Place the colander over a bowl to catch any drips and allow to stand for about 45 minutes. (this allows the cabbage to wilt a bit) Rinse and drain really well.







Cook bacon in a medium saute pan until crisp. Remove bacon to use as garnish and reserve drippings in pan. Add sausage slices and onion to pan of drippings and cook until the onion is tender. Add the garlic, caraway seeds and paprika to onion mixture and cook until fragrant, stirring often.

Add the rinsed coleslaw mix, season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile cook the noodles in boiling water as directed on package and drain well.

Serve the cabbage mixture over a bed of the noodles.

Sprinkle with the reserved bacon.

Serves 1

No comments:

Post a Comment