Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com/


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/




Wednesday, October 7, 2020

October Cupcakes

 

This month I decided to do a cupcake that can be used as part of a Halloween spread but would also be good any time. Remember this a small batch recipe that uses only ⅓ of a box of cake mix. If you haven't already divided you box of cake mix here is the link to blog post that details how to do this.



I did spend a bit more time thinking about this one than I probably should have but I am really excited about how they came out.


Since Halloween is so centered around candy and for me the best candy is a dark chocolate I wanted to start with that. However, I didn't start with a chocolate cake mix, I am using a yellow mix again this month. Hang on and you will see why. I got to thinking about what goes really well with chocolate and makes me think of fall. Oranges came to mind since my mom always sent a lot of oranges in my school lunches at the beginning of the school year.


Then my thought process went back in time to when I was school age and I remembered how excited I was when my mom would make a marble cake. That was it! Let's take the idea of the marble cake and pair with chocolate and orange and make some fun, festive cupcakes that will amaze your friends. Since I am totally in love with my new frosting recipe I am going to share a chocolate version with you this month as the perfect topper for these.


I was hoping to find something cute to decorate the tops of my cupcakes but sadly I totally forgot to pick up anything so sprinkles will have to do this time. I did pull out some Halloween themed cupcake liners that I had on hand at least.



Since we are going to need two flavors of batter we will need to divide our batter into 2 fairly even portions. Since I usually use a 4 cup glass measuring cup as my mixing bowl it was simple to check when I had about half poured out. 

 




To one half of the batter add the orange extract and some orange food coloring. It doesn't take much food color to get a good orange shade. 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next mix ¼ cup of chocolate chips that you have melted to the other portion of the batter. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Try to get both mixtures mixed well so there are no remaining streaks of color.



 

 

So let's talk about how to do the marble technique, for a cupcake it can be a bit tricky but the cookie scoop is the tool that makes this so much easier than it looks.

 




 I found that working on one cupcake at a time and scooping in the first batter then using your free hand to hold the liner at a slight angle and carefully placing the second scoop of batter in the opposite color it was pretty easy. When all the liners are filled use a toothpick to first make a swirl around the cupcake followed but several strokes back and forth to mix the batters ever so slightly. I did get 8 cupcakes this time but I only photographed on pan of 6 for most of the pictures here.









Bake and cool as normal.


Now on to the frosting. This month I am once again using my new favorite frosting but in a chocolate version. The biggest trick to this frosting is to be sure that the cream cheese is really smooth before you add the sugar and cocoa powder and that this mixture is really smooth before you add the cream. 

 

Then again make sure that the entire mixture is really smooth before you turn the mixer up to high. You really don't want to find lumps of cream cheese in the frosting on your beautiful cupcakes.


I used a Wilton 1A tip this time. Use whatever is your favorite. I then simply sprinkled on some fun holiday sprinkles and the cupcakes are ready for presentation.






Chocolate and Orange Marble Cupcakes


of a box of yellow cake mix

cup water

1 egg

3 ½ Tablespoons vegetable oil

¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

½ teaspoon orange extract

orange gel food coloring

¼ cup chocolate chips, melted



Start by preheating your oven to the temperature your box of cake mix calls for, mine was 350°F. Line your cupcake pan with paper liners or grease really well.



Combine the water, egg, oil and vanilla in a mixing bowl and combine well.


Add the cake mix and beat for up to 90 seconds.


Divide the batter into 2 equal portions. To one portion add the orange extract and food coloring. To the other add the melted chocolate chips.


Portion into cupcake pan adding a small scoop of each batter to each cupcake liner then swirl with a toothpick. Bake according to instructions on your cake mix. Mine was baked at 350°F for about 20 minutes.


Cool in pan for 10 minutes then move to a cooling rack and cool completely.


Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting



3 oz cream cheese (the kind in the block not the tub) softened at room temperature

cup powdered sugar

2 Tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa

¾ cup heavy whipping cream

¼ to ½ teaspoon vanilla extract


Begin by beating the cream cheese with a mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and beat on medium again until smooth, scrapping the bowl and beaters often with a spatula.


Add the vanilla to the heavy cream. With the mixer on low very slowly add the cream/vanilla mixture until all is incorporated. Scrape the bowl and the beaters often during this process so it is all combined evenly.


Turn the mixer up to high and beat until stiff peaks form.




Be sure to store the frosting in the refrigerator.


Pipe of spread the frosting onto your cupcakes as desired.


Decorate however you want to fit the occasion you will be serving the cupcakes.





No comments:

Post a Comment