Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com/


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/




Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Basic Coleslaw

 


This week I thought I would share my recipe for just a basic coleslaw. This is a small batch just enough for 2 as either a side dish or on a yummy BBQ sandwich. It is a creamy version since that is my preference.

 

 



So a bit of the backstory here. When I was a kid I absolutely hated coleslaw. Couldn't stand the stuff and that continued in adulthood. Then for some strange reason out of nowhere about 10 or 15 years ago I started to no only like but to crave it. It was so strange because it literally happened overnight. Ever since I have really loved coleslaw.


So I have been playing around with different recipes over the years first in family size and more recently in small batch size. The recipe I am sharing today is my most basic one. I love to tailor the slaw to fit different meals and I will certainly share some other recipes in the future.


This starts out with some of that bagged coleslaw mix from the grocery store. You know the one the kind that just has the shredded cabbage and a few other veggies in it. Skip by the one with the packet of dressing. The dressing is the easy part, shredding the cabbage down fine enough to make a good slaw takes time and this is a really quick recipe.


I normally make this in the morning to serve later in the day. I find it tastes so much better if the flavors are allowed to “marry” for a while. Also the time allows the cabbage to soften up a bit making a more pleasant, much creamier salad.


Click here to get the downloadable/printable PDF of this recipe.


Basic Coleslaw


2 Tablespoons sour cream

1 Tablespoon mayonnaise

¼ teaspoon granulated sugar

¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder

pinch of salt

pinch of freshly ground pepper


1 cup coleslaw mix (or finely shredded cabbage)

1 green onion finely chopped



In a medium bowl thoroughly mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar, dry mustard, salt and pepper.





Taste this mixture for seasonings. Add more of whatever you feel is lacking.



Then add the veggies and mix well to coat.






Store in the fridge covered.


Makes 2 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment