Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com/


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/




Monday, December 18, 2023

Creamy Veggie Casserole

 


This is a recipe that came about because I just didn’t feel like going out in the bad weather to go to the grocery store. So I had dug through my freezer and pantry to come up with a menu for dinner.


I had some frozen veggies on hand and I really didn’t feel like having them plain. So I did a quick google search for inspiration. I found about 4 or 5 recipes online that looked promising but I didn’t have all the ingredients for any of them. So I took the basic ideas and the things about them that I was most attracted to and came up with this recipe.


I’ve since made it a half dozen times or so and I have tried a couple of different frozen veggies combinations. I find the ones that have broccoli and cauliflower taste the best to me. But feel free to use the veggies that you love the most.


The ingredients in this recipe are things that are in my fridge/freezer/pantry most of the time so that’s why I’ve made it several times already. It is just easy and convenient besides it tastes delicious.



 

 

We start by, making the crumb mixture that will top our casserole. For that we are going to mix some breadcrumbs (I usually use Panko breadcrumbs for the extra crunch), Parmesan cheese (the kind in the can),some melted butter, and just a pinch of Italian herb seasoning.


 


 

 

 

Then we start the sauce. For that saute some onion in a bit more butter in a small pan over medium heat. 

 

 

 


 

 

Then add some flour and cook that a moment along with some seasonings. I like to add the seasonings at this point because they bloom into the sauce better than adding them later. Also by adding the flour to the onions you pretty much eliminate the possibility of getting any lumps of flour in your finished sauce.


 


 

 

 

Then add some milk to make a white sauce. Now just cook over medium heat until it thickens. 

 

 

 


 

 

At this point add the cream cheese and some shredded Parmesan cheese 

 

 

 


 

 

and stir until the cream cheese is melted.


 

 

 


 

 

Then stir in the frozen veggies.


 

 


 

 

Spread in a small casserole dish, 

 

 

 

 


 

 

top with the crumb mixture and bake.


 

 

 

 

I do highly recommend placing the casserole dish on a rimmed baking sheet just in case any sauce bubbles out, it will save you having to clean the bottom of the oven.



 

Since this bakes at 350°F it is the perfect partner to a lot of meat dishes. And since everything is already cooked you are just heating through and getting the flavors to mingle you could cook at a bit lower (for a few minutes more) or a bit higher (for a bit less time, just watch the topping that it doesn’t burn)


 

 

If you are out of shredded Parmesan for the cheese sauce you can use pretty much any shredded cheese you have on hand.


You can find a downloadable/printable version of this recipe here.


Creamy Veggie Casserole



topping ingredients:

2 Tablespoons dry bread crumbs (I prefer Panko breadcrumbs)

2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (the kind in the can)

1 Tablespoon melted butter

pinch of Italian herb seasoning



casserole ingredients:

¼ cup chopped onion

1 Tablespoon butter

1 Tablespoon flour

pinch Italian herb seasoning

pinch garlic salt

freshly ground pepper to taste

½ cup milk

1 ounce cream cheese

3 Tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese


2 cups of frozen veggies, I used “winter mix” with broccoli and cauliflower


Pre-heat oven to 350°F.


Combine topping ingredients and set aside.


Saute chopped onion in butter over medium heat until softened.

Add the flour along with the seasonings and cook, stirring constantly for about 30 seconds.


Add the milk and stir to combine. Continue to stir until the mixture thickens.


Add the cream cheese along with the shredded cheese and stir until the cream cheese melts.


Carefully stir in the frozen veggies until coated.


Put in a small, 2 cup casserole dish.


Sprinkle on the topping mixture.


Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes until heated through and browned on top.


Yield 2 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment