Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com/


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/




Monday, January 8, 2024

Southwest Shrimp Bisque

 


Of course the first thing I know someone out there is going to ask is this really a bisque? And to be truthful I am not really sure. I think I know what a bisque is and I even looked online to double check. I am still not sure if this is a true bisque or not. The original recipe that I based this recipe on was titled as a bisque so I decided to stick with it.


What I can tell you is this a very rich, very smooth, very yummy bowl of soup. It is perfect on a cold day or for a special dinner to celebrate whatever needs to be celebrated. Note I did say rich and that is not an understatement this is a very rich soup and should be saved for a special dinner. Or a Monday, like I did when I made this. I am going say I chose to have it when I did not only so I could share it with all of you but to ring in the new year in style.


There is just the perfect amount of spice in here to give it some zing but that is balanced with the cream so mellow it. With all the flavor the shrimp is still the star of the bowl.



When you get your shrimp if you have the choice of ones with shells on that is my preference. Unfortunately when I picked up my shrimp from the store I got the absolute last bag of frozen small shrimp in the store and they were peeled. At least they had their tales on. I say this because the first (optional??) step I like to do is take all those tails and shells if I have them and simmer them in a covered saucepan for about 10 minutes before I start the soup in my soup pot. This allows the flavor from those shells/tails to infuse the chicken broth. A small step but I really think it adds to the overall taste of the soup. And after all you paid for the flavor in those parts that are normally thrown away.


While the broth is getting infused we can get everything ready to make the soup. I like to have all my prep done before I start cooking, all veggies peeled and chopped, all seasonings measured out, all that stuff done so once I start cooking I don’t have to dash around trying to find things.



 

The first step is to cook the onion in some olive oil. Do this on a medium heat and cook them until they turn translucent and are starting to soften. I have found that a lot people I have talked to that say they don’t like onions in things aren’t cooking them long enough.



 

 

Once the onion is cooked add the garlic stirring it into the onions. It will only need a couple of seconds, just until you smell it.


 

 


 

 

Now add the spices stirring them in cook until again you smell the spices starting to warm up. This gives them, especially the cumin a much better flavor in the finished dish.


 

 


 

 

Add the flour and cook for about a minute stirring constantly. The mixture in the pan is going to be very stiff.


 

 

 

 

Then pour the infused chicken broth through a fine mesh strainer into the pan and stir it in very well. Add the cream again stirring really well.


Bring the soup barely to a boil and then cover the pan and simmer it over low heat for about 5 minutes.


Taste the broth of your soup and add salt and pepper if needed. This will depend on how well seasoned your chicken broth was to begin with.



 

 

Now add the shrimp and again bring to a boil. Then turn down the heat and simmer until the shrimp are cooked almost through. Stirring from time to time. This should take between 5 and 10 minutes.



 

While the shrimp cook move the sour cream to a small bowl.


Once the shrimp are cooked whisk ½ cup of the hot broth into the sour cream. Then transfer this mixture into the soup pot.



 

Cook stirring until the soup is hot. Be careful not to let the soup boil once the sour cream is added.


 

 

Ladle into two bowls and top with diced avocado and some chopped cilantro.


You can find a downloadable/printable version of this recipe here.


Southwest Shrimp Bisque



1 small onion, chopped

1 Tablespoon olive oil

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 Tablespoon Chili powder

½ teaspoon cumin

½ teaspoon ground coriander

1 Tablespoon flour

1 (14.5 ounce) chicken broth

½ cup heavy cream

½ pound small shrimp, peeled and deveined

½ cup sour cream

salt and pepper to taste


Avocado and chopped cilantro to top bowls of soup

Optional first step: combine the can of chicken broth and any shells/tails from the shrimp. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes to infuse the chicken broth with a bit more flavor.


In a medium soup pot heat the olive oil over medium heat then add the chopped onions and cook until they are translucent and starting to soften.


Once the onion is cooked add the garlic stirring it into the onions, cook just until fragrant.


Sprinkle the spices over the vegetable mixture and cook until fragrant.


Add the flour and cook for about a minute stirring constantly. The mixture in the pan is going to be very stiff.


Add the (infused) chicken broth to the pan and stir it in very well. Strain it through a fine mesh strainer if you infused it with the shells/tails. Stir the cream in to combine.


Bring the soup barely to a boil and then cover the pan and simmer it over low heat for about 5 minutes.


Taste the broth of your soup and add salt and pepper if needed. .


Now add the shrimp and again bring to a boil. Then turn down the heat and simmer until the shrimp are cooked almost through. Stirring from time to time. This should take between 5 and 10 minutes.


While the shrimp cook move the sour cream to a small bowl.


Once the shrimp are cooked whisk ½ cup of the hot broth into the sour cream. Then transfer this mixture into the soup pot.


Cook stirring until the soup is hot. Be careful not to let the soup boil once the sour cream is added.


Ladle into two bowls and top with diced avocado and some chopped cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment