Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com/


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/




Friday, June 9, 2017

Flaky Sandwich Roll

I actually found this recipe (or at least the one that this was based on) last December. I had decided to do an appetizer buffet for Christmas day and was in search of items to go on it. I ran across a sandwich recipe and the first thing I thought was if I change it like this I would have an excellent sandwich for dinner. So the playing around with the recipe began.

We love this sandwich year round with a bowl of soup in the winter or with a salad now that the weather is getting warmer.

One of my favorite things about this sandwich is that it looks like it took a long time to make. But because we are using pre-made pie crust from the grocery store it goes together in just minutes.

One of the things I have played around on with this sandwich is different combinations of fillings. You really can use just about any deli meat and cheese combination you like. I picked out 3 of our favorites for this blog post but the variations are endless.

Following with the pictures of the sandwiches I will give you the exact fillings I used. At the end of the blog the recipe with the amounts can be found. The only real way you can mess this up is to use too much of whatever condiment you choose, this will cause the sandwich to get very watery and the bottom crust will be soft.

The first sandwich is the good old ham and Swiss. This is a classic combo and how can you go wrong with it? For the condiment on this one I stick to the classic roots and use Dijon mustard.









Next up is one of my favorite combos sliced turkey with provolone cheese and lingonberry jam. Do be really careful with the amount of jam in this one. I usually try to just barely put some under the meat then a bit more between the meat and cheese.







And lastly sliced roast beef, sharp cheddar with a creamy horseradish sauce. Yum!!  I have to say after eating all three varieties of the sandwich this week this one was our favorite. 









Each sandwich roll serves 2 so if you are feeding more people just make more rolls. If you are alone it can be re-heated the next day for lunch. And since I knew that I wanted to make all three variations of the sandwiches this week I made 2 for dinner one night so we could play around with re-heating them the next day. We found the two ways that worked the best for us were: (1st) heating the leftover sandwich pieces in the toaster oven (this is my favorite way to re-heat leftover pizza too) and (2nd) to partially re-heat in the microwave then finish re-heating in a hot skillet (this crisps the bottom back up) I think that although you could obviously get these hot again in the microwave the crust would end up soggy not nice and crisp.

Now for the recipe:

For each sandwich:

1 refrigerated pie crust
1 teaspoon of the condiment of your choice (mustard, jam, horseradish sauce, etc)
½ pound of deli sliced meat
1 slice (1 oz) of cheese

Heat oven to 425°.

Allow pie crust to warm up as directed on the package.

Lay pie crust out on work surface and spread the condiment of your choice (see my suggestions in the blog post) to within ½” of the edge.

Layer the meat on next keeping it in a row about 4” wide and leaving about an 1” at each end.

Top the meat with the sliced cheese.

Bring up the sides of the crust over the filling meeting in the middle. Pinch the top together you can leave this seam very plain or flute the seam to make it pretty for display.

Roll the ends of the crust making sure to seal the sandwich roll so you don't loose your filling on the baking sheet.

Move the sandwich roll to a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Cut 3 or 4 slits in the top to allow steam to escape.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.

Allow to cool about 5 minutes.

Cut into 4 slices and serve.

Serves 2


No comments:

Post a Comment