Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com/


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/




Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

 


This week I am sharing a recipe that has been a favorite of my family for many years. When my kids were growing up I made this so often I had the recipe memorized. My sons, especially would request it on a regular basis.



A couple of weeks ago I realized I hadn't had it a couple of years. I had tried a couple of similar desserts but they just weren't the same. So I did the logical thing. I dug out my old family sized recipe and began the process of making it suitable for a smaller household. Since it is a recipe I am so familiar with I had a head-start, I kind of “just knew” what was going to work. I am very pleased with the results and I know I will be making this on a regular basis.


This version makes about 3 or 4 really nice sized servings so perfect for the small household.


The batter in the beginning is very thick, almost a paste like consistency. I find that if you use lower fat milk in it it sometimes is thinner. I use full fat milk so mine is very thick.


The desert is really simple but magical at the same time. You spread the thick batter in the pan (the cut down version uses an 8” bu 4” loaf pan) then sprinkle the top with a layer of brown sugar and then with a layer of cocoa powder. Top this all with some very hot water it needs to be steaming like if you were going to make tea. Then bake for 45 minutes. During the baking process the cake part raises to the top and the bottom becomes a rich pudding.


When I took it from the oven the pudding was bubbling up around the edges. Even after as many times as I have made this I am always mesmerized by that sight.


This keeps well covered in the fridge for a few days, just be sure to cover it up. Then I like to re-heat the individual servings in the microwave so they are warmed up.


I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does.



You can find the PDF of this recipe here. 

 

 

 

 

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake



½ cup flour

1/3 cup sugar

1 Tablespoon cocoa, unsweetened

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt


¼ cup milk

1 Tablespoon butter, melted


½ cup brown sugar

2 Tablespoons cocoa, unsweetened


1 1/3 cup very hot water


Preheat oven to 350°F.


In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, 1 Tablespoon cocoa, baking powder, and salt.

 

 

 


 Add the milk and melted butter and combine well. 



Spread this mixture into the bottom of an 8” by 4” loaf pan.






Sprinkle the top of the batter with the brown sugar 

 

 

 


and the remaining 2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder.






Carefully pour the hot water over the top and carefully move to the preheated oven.




Bake for 45 minutes.








Allow to cool a bit before serving.





1 comment: