Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com/


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/




Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Pulled Pork Taco Bowls

 

This week I am sharing a recipe that I found a while back. I have been playing around with the recipe for a while and it is to the point where I love it and wanted to share it. 

 

 

 



First I want say that I love rice bowls they have become one of my favorite things to make for dinner. They are especially nice when the leftover bowl will be for lunch the next day because they reheat so well. They are filling and can be changed up to be whatever you want.


This pulled pork taco bowl is one I love to make. I almost always have some pulled pork in my freezer because it is a very versatile ingredient that is super easy and cheap to make. The last time I made up a batch I found pork bone-in roasts at 88¢ a pound!! I couldn't resist that price so I grabbed a few and made up a nice batch of pulled pork in my slow cooker to put in the freezer. Since most of the recipes I make with pulled pork call for about 10 oz that is the amount I bag mine up in to freeze it. If I need more I can pull out more than 1 bag.



You will need enough rice for each bowl, I start out with about ½ cup of raw jasmine rice for 2 servings. You might want more or less depending on how hungry you are. I prefer jasmine rice for most bowls because it has a much better flavor than the standard (cheap) long grain white rice. Use whatever your favorite rice is for this. You could even use instant rice if that is what you prefer.


For this dish I like to stir together a quick fresh salsa, don't worry if you don't like spicy this salsa actually has no heat at all. You could definitely use your favorite jarred salsa in its place. I also like to top my taco bowl with shredded Mexi cheese and sour cream just like I do when I have tacos. I would have added either avocado or guacamole if I had it on hand. So use your favorite toppings on this.


Sometimes I add a jalapeno along with the green pepper, I forgot to pick one up at the store this week. It is good either way. Use you favorite taco seasoning either from a packet or from a larger container like I do. I prefer to buy the larger container just so I always have it on hand.

Follow this link for a printable PDF of this recipe.


Pulled Pork Taco Bowls


1 small onion

1 green bell pepper

½ cup chopped tomato

¼ cup chopped cilantro

1 lime

1 Tablespoon vegetable oil

10 oz pulled pork (no sauce)

1 Tablespoon taco seasoning

½ cup water


cooked rice (enough for 2 servings)

toppings of your choice


Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion, then finely chop about 2 Tablespoons of the onion.


Core, de-seed and cut the green pepper into strips.


Cut the lime into quarters.


Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the oil. When the oil gets hot (not smoking just hot) add the sliced onion and the green pepper. Cook just until the softened.




Add the pulled pork to the pan with the veggies and mix together. Season the meat veggie mixture with the taco seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Add the water and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and let simmer until the liquid is mostly gone. Taste and adjust the seasonings.



Meanwhile in a small bowl combine the chopped tomato, the chopped onion, half the cilantro and the juice from half the lime. Season with salt and pepper and taste. Add more lime juice and/or salt and pepper as needed.




When the meat mixture is ready serve in a bowl over the rice top with the fresh salsa and your choice of toppings. Sprinkle the remaining cilantro over the top.


Serve the rest of the lime on the side to squeeze over as desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment