Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com/


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/




Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Carrot Cake Cupcakes


 

 

 

This week's recipe is actually the cupcake of the month for April which starts the day after this posts. I would normally have posted it next week but I wanted to have this one out in time for Easter and that is this coming Sunday. So the April cupcake is going to post the last day of March, hope everyone is okay with that.


I had been planning to do a carrot cake cupcake for April all along but I was kind of torn about just how I was going to do it. Since these cupcake recipes are based on my divided cake mix method I really wanted to use a cake mix. The problem being normally you would use a spice cake mix for carrot cake and I really don't like spice cake. So I had thought about trying work out the kinks on my small batch carrot cake recipe from scratch but it just isn't ready yet.


Then I had to stop at Walmart the other day to pick up some stuff that only they seem to have. As I was walking from one area of the store to another I walked past the display of spring/Easter themed baking supplies. I knew I wanted to grab some cute cupcake paper liners so I stopped to look. I found a really adorable set that has not only the liners but themed sprinkles and cute paper toppers.


One of the other things I noticed was a box of Carrot Cake mix. Hmmmmm, that might be the answer to my dilemma.





I took a quick look at the ingredient label and while not great and there doesn't appear to be any actual carrot in there it wasn't bad. I figured I could work with it and make some pretty good cupcakes with a few additions.


So when I got home I divided the box into 3 portions (if you haven't read my blog post on how to do this it is here)


The next step was to gather my additions to the mix. The first and easiest change was to use some apple juice in place of the water. That along with the vanilla that I almost always add to cake mix took this mix to the next level. After mixing the batter like normal I added in some fun additions- chopped nuts, golden raisins,and some grated carrot. These are the things I usually add to my regular carrot cake. With all these additions I did get 8 cupcakes this time instead of my normal 6.


I am very happy the result of these changes,


I then make my favorite cream cheese frosting for them. Now they aren't the same as my from scratch cake but they are wonderful.


Click here to find the printable PDF of the recipe.




Carrot Cake Cupcakes


of a box of carrot cake mix

cup apple juice

1 egg

3 ½ Tablespoons vegetable oil

¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

3 Tablespoons chopped nuts

3 Tablespoons golden raisins

3 Tablespoons shredded carrot





Start by preheating your oven to the temperature your box of cake mix calls for, mine was 350°F. Line your cupcake pan with paper liners or grease really well.



Combine the apple juice, egg, oil and vanilla in a mixing bowl and combine well.



Add the cake mix and beat for up to 90 seconds.







Gently stir in the nuts, golden raisins, and grated carrot.



Portion into cupcake pan and bake according to instructions on your cake mix. Mine was baked at 350°F for about 20 minutes.



Cool in pan for 10 minutes then move to a cooling rack and cool completely.



Small Batch Cream Cheese Frosting

¼ cup butter, softened

4 oz cream cheese, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups powdered sugar





Beat the softened butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract until combined and starting to get fluffy.




Slowly add the powdered sugar beating until well combined and creamy.





Move frosting to a decorating bag equipped with a large decorating tip. Decorate your cupcakes as desired.










1 comment:

  1. Joanne
    Those look wonderful and the recipe also seems easy. Might just try making them.

    ReplyDelete