Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com/


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/




Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Lemon Chicken

 

I haven't posted an Investment cooking recipe on here in a long time so I decided it was time. If you aren't familiar with my term “investment cooking: you probably know it by another term. This is simply a recipe that I make a larger quantity of and then freeze to enjoy later. This time we are making one of my absolute favorites- Lemon Chicken. Or at least what I call Lemon Chicken, not to be confused with Asian style lemon chicken. This is chicken pieces that are marinated in a lemon mixture then baked (or grilled) I love it both ways but the advantage of baking is you end up with a wonderfully delicious sauce that can be poured over rice or couscous as a side dish. 

 



You can use whatever your favorite chicken pieces are, I almost always used either thighs or leg-quarters. I have used breasts before but I just prefer the darker meat. Whatever chicken parts you choose to use be sure they are skin on and bone in for this recipe. A little note here I know some people think that the amount of time I cook this for is a bit long but I am kind of paranoid of having chicken under-cooked, I would rather err on the side of over than under cooked when it comes to chicken. I also always check the internal temperature of chicken when it comes out of the oven to make sure it is cooked through.


The following recipe is for per bag and your total amounts will depend on how much chicken you are preparing. This time the package I got had 10 fairly large thighs so I opted to do 3 per bag with one bag with the extra one. For me I find 3 is about right for dinner and lunch the next day. When my son still lived at home I would do 4 thighs and we would have the perfect amount for dinner. The amounts of the marinade will work for up to 4 thighs or 2 leg-quarters or 2 breasts.


Although I usually save a batch out of the freezer to eat the night I prep this I really like the flavor much more after it has frozen and thawed. I am not sure of the science of it but the flavor of the marinade goes deeper into the chicken after that freezing cycle.


So lets get down to the basics of how this goes together.


My first step is to open up the chicken and see exactly how many pieces I am working with. This will determine how many bags of chicken I am going to make. I also decide what size freezer bag will work best. This time I used quart size but if my pieces were any bigger or I was going to put in more I would have gotten out gallon size freezer bags. 

 

Next I line my bags up on the counter with the tops open so I can easily add my ingredients. Then I just go through and add the thyme to each bag, then I follow with the salt, and the garlic. Lastly I add the lemon juice. I then carefully mix the contents of each bag a bit just pick them up and gently swirl it a little (don't spill)



Last I add the chicken, label the bags and freeze.

I did use just a storage bag for tonight's dinner, no sense wasting a freezer bag when I don't need to.


When you are ready to enjoy your Lemon Chicken cooking is really easy. If you are going to use one of the bags that you have frozen thaw it in the fridge overnight then proceed as follows.


Preheat the oven and place the chicken skin side down in a baking dish then pour the marinade over the chicken.





Bake it for 20 minutes turn the chicken over,




Bake another 20 or so minutes and dinner is ready.




I hope you all enjoy this as much as I do.


Click here for the printable PDF version of the recipe.




Lemon Chicken


These ingredients are per bag- how much you need will depend on how many bags of chicken you are preparing.



Chicken parts of your choice (to serve 2 -3 people)

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon pepper

Grated or crushed garlic about a large clove (to taste)

1/3 cup lemon juice




Figure out how many bags of chicken you will be making and line the freezer bags up on the counter. Add the chicken parts to the individual bags. Now add the rest of the ingredients given to each bag. I work mine like an assembly line, adding the chicken to all the bags then the thyme goes in all the bags, then the salt on down the list.


When all the ingredients are added seal each bag getting out as much of the air as you possibly can. Then kind of massage the bags to thoroughly mix the ingredients and make sure the chicken is coated well. Label and freeze the bags.


When you want to serve the chicken thaw in the fridge overnight. Place the contents of the bag into a glass baking dish (2-3 serving fit nicely in an 8x8) arranging the chicken pieces skin side down. Bake at 450 degrees (Fahrenheit) for 20 minutes, turn chicken over and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes until done.


No comments:

Post a Comment